Arthur Francis SOUNDY Ada Emily SOUNDY Harry Clifton SOUNDY Frank George SOUNDY Lilla Maud SOUNDY Percy Reginald SOUNDY Kate Ethel SOUNDY Arthur Frank SOUNDY Jules Leonard SCHAUMBURG Doris Ada Ethel SCHAUMBURG Bruce Clifton SCHAUMBURG Dudley Palmer SCHAUMBURG Arthur David LINKLATER Nelson Valdemar LINKLATER Katherine Elizabeth PALMER tree

Elsie May SOUNDY 1886-1964

SCHAUMBURG changed name to HARRIS

8th Feb 1886

Born in Bombay, Mahåråshtra, India.1


6th Apr 1886

Christened in Bombay, Mahåråshtra, India (Christ Church, Byculla, Bombay, Maharashtra, India.)1


5th Sep 1906

St Thomas' Cathedral, Bombay, India


5th Sep 1906

Married Leonard HARRIS in Bombay, Mahåråshtra, India.5


21st Feb 1908

Birth of daughter Doris Ada Ethel SCHAUMBURG in Calcutta, West Bengal, India


5th Sep 1909

Birth of son Bruce Clifton SCHAUMBURG in Calcutta, West Bengal, India


21st Oct 1912

Birth of son Dudley Palmer HARRIS in Calcutta, West Bengal, India


5th May 1916

Divorced from Leonard HARRIS in High Court, Calcutta, Calcutta, West Bengal, India (High Court, Calcutta, Bengal India).4

No report of proceedings, or grant of decree nisi published in The Statesman, but no further listing for the case appears. Hence it is probable that the case was dealt with, a grant was made with the decree absolute to take effect 6 months later. The law firm listed as handling the case was Leslie & Hinds.


May 1917

Resident with her eldest brother, Harry Soundy, Clifton & Co, in Hornby Road, Bombay, India.3

9th Jun 1917

Married Arthur David LINKLATER in Registrar Office, Bombay, India


15th Aug 1918

Birth of son Nelson Valdemar LINKLATER in Bombay, Mahåråshtra, India


after 1940

Death of Leonard HARRIS


6th Feb 1955

Death of Arthur David LINKLATER in Maidenhead, Berkshire, England


14th Oct 1964

Died in Windsor, Berkshire, England.2

1a. Coronary occlusion, b. Coronary atheroma


Sylvia's sources

  1. Baptism Certificate - India. N/3/60/95 (primary evidence)
  2. Death Certificate
  3. Letter to F L Harris, 8 Grant Road, Bangalore, South India, from the L C Everard of the Commonwealth Relations Office
  4. The Statesman and Friend of India; ‘Law Intelligence - The Cause List’ On microfilm at NLA, mfm x164 reel: 41 - April 27-June 29
  5. Marriage Certificate - India N/3/96/76

The foregoping from Sylvia Murphy

Elsie (as I must get used to calling her, although she was always ‘Granny’ or ‘Granny Links’ to us, including my mother - but Dick called her Ma) was born in Bombay. On her birth certificate her father's 'abode’ is stated as Mazagen and his ‘quality, trade or profession’ as ‘Secretary Soundy & Co Limited’. She died in Windsor, England. She divorced her first husband around 1916. I never met him, nor one of his sons, Dudley and it was many years before I met Bruce, but Doris was always around. The Soundys had a music business in Bombay and I have it in the back of my head that Elsie used to put the pianos through their paces to impress prospective customers. But when she lived with us in Windsor and my parents bought a piano I never heard her lay a finger on it. Indeed I do not remember Elsie showing any signs of interest in music at all.

I have a BIRTHDAY BOOK written partly by Elsie and 3 or possibly 4 others - presumably all Soundys - which I have transcribed on the linked page.

For some time after the war she and Dum lived in Wallasey when Peg and Dick were at Nottingham and we used to visit them there. When we moved to Longwaters at Dorney, Dum and Elsie came to live there with us. My only recollection of her there is in connection with budgerigars of which she seemed to have a great number. I think she bred them though what became of them I have no idea. Perhaps they ate them. I remember she had one particular favourite called ‘Dinky’ who came to an untimely end one day when we we were visiting Aunty Georgie (who was that?!) and Dinky overdosed on butter.

While we were at Longwaters Dum died and when, shoprtly after, we moved to King's Road in Windsor Elsie moved with us. She was the first member of the household to acquire a t.v. and it is with her that I remember being first exposed to the allure of the small screen when Superman made a lasting impression. I also remember watching Popeye with her on a regular basis. Elsie also saw to other vital aspects of my education; I had my first tastes of nicotine and alcohol at her hands. Both nicotine and alcohol have a close association in my mind with Elsie for the following reasons.

NICOTINE. Elsie used to roll her own. Whether she ever indulged in the tailor made variety I do not recall but what I quite clearly remember is her rolling her own with a machine. This consisted of a tin with a hinged lid inside which the tobacco and papers were kept. In the top of the lid was a slot and a fabric covered roller mechanism into which the tobacco and paper (licked on special occasions by myself) were placed and, on closing the lid, out popped the finished article from the slot on the top. But that was not the end of it. Each fag end was carefully preserved and in due course shredded to form an ever more powerful brew! One of my few memories of Granny away from the house is of her in the car outside the library where we went on some Saturdays to change our books. On this particular occasion I remember her lighting up and allowing me a puff on her gasper - which, now I come to think of it I seem to remember came from a packet; Woodbine? Park Drive?

ALCOHOL. Elsie liked the odd tipple but that I think was all. Just about her one small luxury in life was to have bottles of drink delivered (once a week?) to the door by the Victoria Wine Company; an orange wooden crate with a dozen half pint bottles of ‘stout’ (I think Mackeson) for Dick and Babysham for her. When I was at home (at weekends from school or holidays) it was my task to go down stairs to Granny's room where either she, or latterly I would open a bottle of beer and pour it SLOWLY as directed into one of her tall Tuborg lager glasses and carefully ship it upstairs to my father. It inevitably became the custom to allow me a sip of the oh so carefully decanted brew.

She had two poodles at Windsor, of the small brown coloured variety which presumably came from her daughter Doris who used to breed them very successfully. When first in Windsor she used to take them for walks in the 'Long Walk' right opposite to where we lived. This was parkland to which the public had free access. But a more abiding memory of her is of her standing at her sitting room window looking out across the park towards Frogmoor and crooning quietly to one of her dogs in her arms and thinking I know not what lonely thoughts. Memory may play me false here but her voice and manner of speech were very similar to Doris'. To my ear it had a very slight Indian resonance or intonation in that the words were very precisely enunciated. She also jingled whenever she moved because she wore bangles. She certainly had both glass and metal ones; whether she wore the glass ones I can't remember.

Until her death, both at Longwaters and Windsor, she used to get state visits from Dhunjibhoy's widow. I don't really remember these occasions except that they were high days and holidays, from which, the keenly anticipated outcome was the receipt of a crisp ten bob note on a good day or half a crown on a bad one. On one such visit I excelled myself, having just embarked on my scholastic career at the village school, by offering to recite a poem. Permission being graciously granted I proved word perfect with

Red white and blue
The dirty kangaroo
Hid behind the dustbin
And did his number two.

My audience was apparently less taken with this than I. What remuneration followed (if any) I forget.

Repeated here is the letter (quoted elsewhere on Dum's pages) from Lady ‘Bom’ (as Sir Dhunjibhoy's relict was always referred to) that she wrote (5 March 1955) to Dick - or rather “my dear Nelson” as she always called him - on hearing of Dum's death, as it concerns Elsie as much as Dum.

It was with feelings of the deepest regret that I learnt of the passing away of your dear Father and considering the circumstances under which he was placed this sad event would seem a merciful release for the dear departed. I am thankful that evemn after years I had the pleasure to see him ibn May last and that was solely because of a letter which I received from Mr Law of Maidenhead for which I wrote to thank him last year.

Naturally you would not know why your dear Father left The Willows Cottage, but someone had put an idea into the heads of your dear parents that running a Pub would be more lucrative and they also found difficulty in keeping a servant maid, so they chose to leave a beautiful home - an income of £500 per year as also other advantages, which was such a pity. Your dear Father also would insist upon maintaining that I would not have the means to keep on the Willows Estate, [after Sir Dhunjibhoy's death]  therefore, it would be better to make a break. All my arguments seemed in vain when I personally saw him in November 1937 when I had to come over to obtain the Probate as he had already made his own plans. Captain Elliott-Smith his successor is still with me and of his own free will chose to leave The Willows Cottage about two yewars ago because he wished to buy a house of his own in Windsor Town where he lives at present, still managing everything for me though of course there is nothing much to manage these days, but I do not believe in sending away those who have served me faithfully - in their old age and so Mr Lucey still remains in my service doing opractically nothing at the age of 80 years. Therefore, your dear Father had no reason to think at that time that one of these days he would have to leave my service. I agreed to allow Captain Elliott-Smith to live in the town because it gave me a good opportunity to sell off TheWillows Cottage to a Colonel Archibald Dunbar.

In 1949 I sold The Willows and Mr Lucey, Taylor, Mrs Price (who was paying rent) and Pottinger had all to leave. Mr Lucey went into rooms or I should say a room. Taylor came to Pineheath to act as Butler; for Pottinger I bought a house for £500 to live in as he could not work any more and had been with me for 26 years and Mrs Price was given another flat by the purchasers as anyone paying rent could not be shifted unless alternative accommodation was given. Six months later Captain Elliott-Smith informed me that The Willows Garage was for sale for £2,500, so simply in order to house Mr and Mrs Lucey and the Taylor family I bought it back to send them to live into it again much to their joy and I am being offered Rs 3000/- now by the purchasers but bearing in mind the services of Mr Lucey and Taylor, I have to keep it on although it imposes a heavy strain on me. All this just to point out that I would have seen that your dear parents came to no grief after the demise of Sir Dhunjibhoy and your Father was the only employee on the estate who received Rs 2000/- upon Sir Dhunjibhoy's death. Captain Elliott-Smith got 250 per annum. All this is past history but I have never stopped regretting the mistake that your dear parents made for they have been so unhappy since the Maidenhead Pub proved a failure and that too in no time. They could still have been in The Willows Cottage today. After all they were in Bombay with us and it was a happy association of many years which cannot be lightly brushed aside. I always think of them in the old terms and still have a soft corner for your dear Mother.

I felt very happy at the idea that your dear wife and you had them in your home. [Longwaters, Dorney.] Unfortunately, unlike the Orientals, aged people in England are not cared for so much by their progeny, so uit made me think a great deal of Peggy and yourself and I feel sure your joint kindness will bring its own reward. Of course I quite understand that sometimes things become difficult between the elders and the youngsters, but the elders should understand that a new generation with different ideas springs up and these ideas should always be met half way. On the other hand the youngsters must also feel that there is something great in the traditions in which theitr parents were brought up and so it is with this spirit that I have Mehroo and Phili living with me at Bomanji Hall, Cooverji, his wife and three children - Naval, his wife and two children. We are all a very happy family. I feel sure thsat you will also look after your dear Mother in her old age and not allow her life to become too miserable evemn if she has to be on her own later. Mehroo and Phili wish to convey their deep sympathy. Best regards and love to Peggy, the boys and yourself. F.D.B.

Granny Links, Elsie, died peacefully sitting in her chair where Peg found her seemingly asleep.